- 19-Feb-2017 to 20-Apr-2017 (EST)
- Intern Program
- Washington, DC, USA
KaBOOM! is the national non-profit dedicated to giving all kids particularly those growing up in poverty in America the childhood they deserve filled with balanced and active play, so they can thrive. Since 1996, KaBOOM! has collaborated with partners to build, open, or improve more than 16,700 playgrounds, engaged more than one million volunteers, and served 8.5 million kids. KaBOOM! creates great places to play, inspires communities to promote and support play, and works to drive the national discussion about the importance of play in fostering healthy and productive lives.
TITLE: City Engagement Intern
DEPARTMENT: City Engagement
DESIRED START DATE: June 1, 2017
APPROXIMATE HOURS PER WEEK: 30-40
LOCATION: Washington, DC
STIPEND: $500 total
KaBOOM! is looking for a college student, recent college graduate or graduate student to join our dynamic City Engagement team. The City Engagement team is responsible for developing relationships and partnerships in key priority cities, developing new programs and resources to assist cities in providing more opportunities for play, and spotting and nurturing new opportunities related to large-scale system-change initiatives. The City Engagement team is also responsible for managing the Playful City USA program, a recognition program that honors cities and towns that ensure that kids in their communities, particularly kids from low-income families, get the balanced and active play they need to thrive.
- Research and report on relevant initiatives in assigned priority market cities
- Research and identify opportunities within mission-aligned organizations which have city networks and/or cross-cutting systems
- Assist in the development of technical assistance materials and resources that provide benefit and utility to cities that allow them to create more opportunities for kids to play
- Assist in the redevelopment of the Playful City USA program, a recognition program that honors cities and towns that ensure that kids in their communities, particularly kids from low-income families, get the balanced and active play they need to thrive.
- Assist in the closing of the Play Everywhere Challenge grant program, a national design competition that awarded $1 million in prizes to 50 winners across the U.S. who are committed to bringing play to everyday spaces, making play easy and available for kids and families.
- A matriculating college student who has earned enough credits for a sophomore status, or a student who has graduated from college within the preceding six months.
- Area of academic study relates to the intern opening (Public Policy, Social Service/Social Justice, Public Affairs/Gov't relations, Urban/Community Planning), strongly preferred
- Ability to work in Washington, D.C. KaBOOM! office
- Ability to work between 24-40 hours per week.
- Ability to work a minimum of 8 weeks May through August 2017
- Ability to secure their own lodging/housing
- Adhere to all KaBOOM! employment policies
- Excellent organizational and research skills
- Interested individuals should be able to effectively manage responsibilities and meet deadlines
- Willingness to engage in productive and challenging work
- Be open and receptive to feedback and learning opportunities
- Interns will conduct themselves in a professional manner at all times, including working in a cooperative manner within a team oriented environment.
- Conduct themselves in a professional manner at all times; including working in a cooperative manner within a team-oriented environment.
We have a fun and dynamic work atmosphere filled with talented and passionate Boomers who want to make a difference in kids' lives. Please make sure to include a thoughtful cover letter with your application. KaBOOM! is an EOE dedicated to workforce diversity. This position will be based in our Washington, DC office.
Sign Up For Job Alerts!
- Follow Jobs: