- 19-Feb-2017 to 20-Apr-2017 (EST)
- Intern Program
- Washington, DC, USA
KaBOOM! is the national non-profit dedicated to giving all kids particularly those growing up in poverty in America the childhood they deserve filled with balanced and active play, so they can thrive. Since 1996, KaBOOM! has collaborated with partners to build, open, or improve more than 16,700 playgrounds, engaged more than one million volunteers, and served 8.5 million kids. KaBOOM! creates great places to play, inspires communities to promote and support play, and works to drive the national discussion about the importance of play in fostering healthy and productive lives.
TITLE: Community Build Intern
DEPARTMENT: Project Management
DESIRED START DATE: 5/1/17
DESIRED END DATE: 7-10 weeks
APPROXIMATE HOURS PER WEEK: 35+
LOCATION: Washington, DC
STIPEND: $500 total
KaBOOM! is looking for a college student, recent college graduate or graduate student to join our dynamic Project Management team. We have a fun and dynamic work atmosphere, filled with talented and passionate Boomers who want to make a difference in kids' lives! The Project Management team is responsible for the coordination and execution of KaBOOM! community built playground projects.
- Organization and Project Execution;
- Provide on-site support to the lead Project Manager during KaBOOM! led community playground builds, including the physical preparation and construction of the playground and site amenities.
- Learn about playground equipment, play environments and project planning and execution.
- Assist with guiding and motivating volunteers during Build days.
- Assist Project Managers with creating and revising planning documents to including templates, planning charts, Design Day agendas, build matrices and administrative reports. Support planning for organizational retreats and events.
- Writing and Communications;
- Prepare written instructions for volunteers regarding installation of playground equipment and construction of other site amenities.
- A matriculating college student who has earned enough credits for a sophomore status, or a student who has graduated from college within the preceding six months.
- Area of academic study relates to the intern opening (Nonprofit Management, Communications, Marketing, Construction Management, etc.), strongly preferred
- Ability to work in Washington, D.C. KaBOOM! office
- Ability to work a consistent schedule, agreed upon with supervisor
- Ability to secure own lodging/housing in the D.C. area
- Excellent organizational skills and great initiative
- Strong interpersonal and customer service skills
- Interested individuals should be able to effectively manage responsibilities and meet deadlines
- Individual must have the ability to communicate with community members and business partners of all ages, backgrounds and skill levels
- Willingness to engage in productive and challenging work
- Be open and receptive to feedback and learning opportunities
- Interns will conduct themselves in a professional manner at all times, including working in a cooperative manner within a team oriented environment.
We have a fun and dynamic work atmosphere filled with talented and passionate Boomers who want to make a difference in kids' lives. Please make sure to include a thoughtful cover letter with your application. KaBOOM! is an EOE dedicated to workforce diversity. This position will be based in our Washington, DC office.
Sign Up For Job Alerts!
- Follow Jobs: