- 04-Mar-2013 to 28-Mar-2013 (EST)
- DC, USA
- Full Time
Come play with us!
KaBOOM! (kaboom.org) is a national, nonprofit organization that envisions a great place to play within
walking distance of every child in America. To achieve our mission, we facilitate the planning and construction of community-build playspaces, provide online DIY resources, and rally individuals and communities across the country to achieve better public awareness and funding for play opportunities.
The Play Desert Coordinator is responsible for assisting with the development of a Play Desert mapping methodology, using KaBOOM! playspace data, demographic data, GIS and designated online mapping platforms (ArcGIS Online, PolicyMap). Play Desert mapping has a critical role at KaBOOM! as the organization strives to address the Play Deficit by identifying, assessing, and eliminating Play Deserts, and directing resources to those areas of greatest need. This role demands a mixture of skills and responsibilities, and is well-suited to someone with strong data collection and data management skills, as well as GIS and spatial analysis experience. The Play Desert Coordinator will also work closely with the Map of Play Coordinator on the Community Engagement team, a staff member responsible for the management of the Map of Play online tool (www.mapofplay.org), which is a consumer-facing crowd-sourcing tool for data collection and visualization.
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Assist Planning and GIS Analyst with the development of Play Desert methodology and the testing of Play Desert methodologies in GIS.
• Utilize the PolicyMap platform, including regular formatting and uploading of KaBOOM! playspace data.
• Assist with the collection, formatting, and analysis of demographic data from the census.
• Perform direct outreach to collect new datasets for use in Play Desert mapping.
• Assist Play Desert Manager with outreach and communication to cities for Play Desert Elimination Strategy.
• Continually seek ways to improve playspace data quality and quantity.
• Create GIS map products (hardcopy and online) for internal and external audiences as needed.
• Respond to internal map requests from various departments as needed.
• Actively contributes to our inclusive work environment by valuing other people regardless of differences and takes an active role in promoting practices that support diversity, inclusion, and cultural competence
• Bachelor's degree in urban planning, public policy, geography, environmental studies or related field
• 1-2 years of work experience in a field related to urban planning, public policy, or geography
• Demonstrated work experience using ArcGIS for Desktop
• Demonstrated work working with large datasets and performing data analysis, including Census data
• Self-motivation and maturity to take ownership of projects and flexibility to perform in a fast-paced environment with changing priorities
• Proficiency in MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook)
• Familiarity with spatial analysis
• Familiarity with and/or interest in mapping technologies
• Comfort with participation in a new, evolving initiative
• An interest in grassroots non-profit community development work
We have a fun and dynamic work atmosphere filled with talented Boomers who want to make a difference in children's lives. Individuals interested in applying for this position are encourage to click Apply Now. Please make sure in include a thoughtful cover letter, including your salary requirements. KaBOOM! is an EOE dedicated to workforce diversity.
THIS POSITION HAS BEEN CLOSED! PLEASE CHOOSE ONE OF THE OPTIONS BELOW:
- Search Current Openings
Sign Up For Job Alerts!
- Follow Jobs: