- 04-Mar-2013 to 01-Jan-2014 (EST)
- Project Management
- DC, USA
- Full Time
Community Build Managers, also refered to as our Associate Project Manager (APM) will assist in the coordination and execution of KaBOOM! community-built playground projects and activities culminating in a one day volunteer event. The APM will shadow a Project Manager on all elements of a community-built project prior to leading her/his first project. The APM coaches the community partner and funding partner through project planning and provides the planning teams with specific resources and tools to achieve positive changes within their communities. The APM will serve as a Second for these builds and the APM will lead approximately 3-6 projects during first 6-9 months. The APM will work on various supporting projects including, but not limited to: updating procedures, research/knowledge sharing, facilitating planning calls for Project Managers who are traveling, taking minutes for Project Managers on their planning calls, assisting Project Managers with travel arrangements, analyzing findings from post build reports, assisting with developing on-going training and assisting, as needed, with special organization-wide projects and programs. Playspace projects are located across the United States, Canada and Mexico. Significant amount of travel (up to 60%), including weekends, is required for execution of the KaBOOM! Design Day and KaBOOM! Build Day events. This position is available both in our Washington, DC office as well as our San Mateo, CA office.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Managing KaBOOM! projects
• Coordinate playspace build projects to exceed the expectations set for each project.
• Efficiently solve problems and ensure a consistent standard of quality and success for each project.
• Generate project reports and documentation for internal and external review.
• Inspire and guide community partners and funding partners through the project planning process.
• Coordinate logistical planning and execution of Build Day.
• Precisely manage project expenses and overall budget.
• Manage small and large teams of volunteers.
• Facilitate KaBOOM! Design and Build Days to empower the community and corporate sponsors.
• Carryout a variety of mandatory administrative tasks related to the position.
• Lead and motivate others through public speaking and articulation of KaBOOM! mission.
Developing and maintaining relationships with project partners
• Provide excellent internal and external customer service.
• Establish and manage working relationships with a diverse set of community members, including youth.
• Establish and manage working relationships with funding partners to exceed their expectations of success.
• Respond to partner queries regarding the project and playground information.
• Create project reports in a timely manner.
Handling general assignments as needed.
• Conduct outreach, research and/or administrative duties as needed or required.
• Participate in KaBOOM! promotional activities to promote programs and products of the organization.
• Act as a "Second" on projects providing support to the lead Project Manager (travel is required to location of event).
• Actively participate in the KaBOOM! staff development program.
• Conduct research for the organization in the areas of safe and healthy play, playground design & construction, community building, child development and other related topics.
• Associate Project Managers may supervise external parties throughout the planning process – in particular, they manage their planning teams which could include representatives from non-profits, corporations, government agencies, grassroots organizations and various diverse community groups.
• Associate Project Managers have significant authority over the decisions made on each of their projects. They may manage project-specific budgets related to the purchasing of equipment and other materials for the project as well as travel-related budgets.
• Actively contributes to our inclusive work environment by valuing other people regardless of differences and takes an active role in promoting practices that support diversity, inclusion, and cultural competence.
Candidates should have project/event management experience and the ability to manage multiple tasks and projects at the same time. Strong coordination, organization, interpersonal, and communication skills, as well as a strong sense of personal responsibility for one's work are valued. The ideal candidate should be self-motivated, a team player, flexible and able to bring a high level of energy to everything (s)he does. Precise attention to detail and organizational skills are critical to success in this position. Physical strength and/or stamina are important for Build Days where the work is done outdoors during 8 to 12 hour work days and requires heavy lifting. The ability to work with a diverse community of volunteers and corporations and large numbers of people is essential. Excellent writing and oral skills are also required. Prior construction related experience is helpful but not required. Also, high proficiency in Spanish or French is highly desired. BA degree is desired along with relevant project management /event management experience.
Employee must have a valid driver's license and a good driving record at all times. In addition, (s)he must be comfortable driving large passenger vehicles, as he/she will be required to drive rental vehicles and/or a KaBOOM! van. Finally, the employee will travel alone up to 60% of the time necessitating map interpretation skills.
We have a fun and dynamic work atmosphere filled with talented Boomers who want to make a difference in children's lives. Individuals interested in applying for this position are encourage to click Apply Now. Please make sure in include a thoughtful cover letter, including your salary requirements. KaBOOM! is an EOE dedicated to workforce diversity.
THIS POSITION HAS BEEN CLOSED! PLEASE CHOOSE ONE OF THE OPTIONS BELOW:
- Search Current Openings
Sign Up For Job Alerts!
- Follow Jobs: